Washington University in St. Louis


Skip Navigation LinksEngineering Home » Prospective Students » Graduate Programs » Apply for Federal Assistance

Apply for Federal Assistance

In addition to offering you a quality education, the Graduate School of Engineering & Applied Science offers students several forms of federal financial assistance. These resources, explained below, are available to assist you with reaching your educational goals.

To apply for federal assistance, start today by following these steps:

  • Apply for aid. Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate academic year at: www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will need your completed tax information to submit this. Washington University's School Code is: 002520.
  • Complete the supplement form at the bottom of this page and submit.
  • If you receive financial assistance in the form of tuition remission, outside loan, employer assistance or grant from an outside agency, you must report the type and amount of aid to the Graduate Aid Coordinator.

If you are randomly selected by the U.S. Department of Education to complete Federal Verification, you may be asked to supply additional information.

Federal Loans Available to Graduate Students

  • Federal Perkins Loan - Financial need must be demonstrated in order to secure a Federal Perkins Loan. This loan carries a fixed interest rate of 5%. Repayment begins nine months after graduation, leaving school or falling below half-time enrollment. No interest accrues, nor need payments be made on the principal while a student is enrolled at least half-time at an eligible institution.
  • Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan - Effective for loans with a first disbursement on or after July 1, 2014, this loan carries a fixed interest rate of 6.21% for the 2014-2015 academic year. Repayment of principal begins six months after graduation, leaving school or falling below half-time enrollment. Interest accrues while in school. Students have the choice to pay interest while in school or to have the interest accrue and be added (capitalized) to the loan principal.
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan - The annual loan limit is the student's cost of education minus any estimated financial aid received. Credit must be approved with the lender in order to secure this loan. Effective for loans with a first disbursement on or after July 1, 2014, this loan carries a fixed interest rate of 7.21% for the 2014-2015 academic year. Students enrolled at least half-time will automatically go into "In-School Deferment" status and repayment begins immediately after graduation, leaving school or falling below half-time enrollment.

Graduate School of Engineering & Applied Science Supplement to the FAFSA
First Name:
Middle Name:
Last Name:
Student ID:
Home Address:
Street Address
City State Zip Code
Home Phone Cell Phone
email Address:  
What degree or major will you be working on?
How many units do you expect to enroll in?
Summer:      Fall:      Spring:
(Note: You must be enrolled at least half-time, in a given semester, to qualify for federal aid. Half-time status is 3 units in summer, 6 units in fall and 6 units in spring.)
Are you receiving tuition benefits from an employer?
If yes, how much?
Are you receiving tuition remission from a department?
If yes, how much?
What is your anticipated graduation date?
 / 20
How much do you wish to borrow in loan funds?

Yearly limit of Federal Direct Loans is $20,500, but students may wish to borrow up to their full cost of attendance in Graduate PLUS or alternative loans. Loan eligibility is based on financial need and cost of attendance.
If you are an eligible non-U.S. citizen, indicate your INS or visa status:

If you are neither a citizen nor an eligible non-citizen, you are not eligible for federal student aid.
** Generally you are an eligible non-citizen if you are:
  • A U.S. permanent resident with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551);
  • A conditional permanent resident (I-551C); or
  • The holder of an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Parolee" (I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired) or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant."
Special Circumstances
If you have any special circumstances that you feel the financial aid office should be aware of, please upload a letter of special circumstance to the supplement form.

Type the code shown:
Image for verification:
Please note the text is case sensitive.

Try a different image

Federal Financial Aid Contact

Reduce Font SizeEnlarge Font SizePrint Page