Preston M. Green Hall is much greater than one building: it is a multidisciplinary hub that brings together numerous researchers, educators, and students — all focused on creating revolutionary new knowledge and preparing leaders for a global, technology-driven world.
Green Hall is the third building in a new complex of engineering buildings at the northeast perimeter of the Danforth Campus. This latest investment by Washington University and the School of Engineering & Applied Science represents a commitment to the region, nation, and world.
Born in 1915 in St. Louis, Preston M. Green received his Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from Washington University in 1936. After graduation, Mr. Green worked in a local factory until he joined Southwest Steel Supply Co. in 1950 as vice president of purchasing and production. He became president in 1955 and chairman of the board in 1957. During his career at Southwest Steel, Mr. Green was responsible for adding a second manufacturing plant in Madison, Ill., and growing his company into the leading processor of steel throughout the Midwest.
Mr. Green designed most of the equipment used by Southwest Steel, and was acknowledged for creating more efficient processing procedures. He was recognized nationally for his leadership and vision within the steel industry, including receiving the Steel Distributor of the Year award in 1986 from the Association of Steel Distributors.
In 1990, Mr. Green sold Southwest Steel to Hanwa American, a subsidiary of the Hanwa Corporation of Japan. Mr. Green died in 2003, but his legacy continues today through his many contributions, both professional and philanthropic. In 2006, Washington University Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton announced an $8 million commitment from the late Preston Green to support the School of Engineering & Applied Science and the Preston M. Green Department of Electrical & Systems Engineering.
Mrs. Preston Green, his widow, lives in St. Louis and serves on the advisory board for the Preston M. Green Charitable Foundation, which continues to support several charities within the St. Louis community. In 2010, the Preston M. Green Charitable Foundation committed an additional $5 million to support construction of Preston M. Green Hall.