About the School of Engineering & Applied Science

The School of Engineering & Applied Science is ranked among US News &​ World Re​port's top 50 Engineering Schools, and focuses intellectual efforts through a new convergence paradigm, particularly as applied to medicine and health, energy and environment, entrepre​neurship and security.​

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

11:1

student to faculty ratio

34%

women in the freshmen class #WashU19

60%

of undergraduate students pursue a second major

90

programs & 1,500 courses offered to undergraduate students at WashU

60%

of undergraduate students engage in research with faculty

$27

million research awards in 2015

History of Engineering at WashU

1853

Washington University founded.

1857

The School of Engineering & Applied Science is inaugurated as the scientific department of the University.

1870-1896

Calvin M. Woodward serves as first dean. Woodward played a key role in developing engineering into a major academic division.

1896-1901

Edmund A. Engler serves as dean.

1902

The School of Engineering becomes the School of Engineering & Architecture; the School was separately organized in 1910.

1901-1910

Calvin M. Woodward serves as dean. This was Woodward’s second deanship.

1910-1920

Alexander S. Langsdorf serves as dean.

1920-1928

Walter E. McCourt serves as dean.

1928-1948

Alexander S. Langsdorf serves as dean again, after working in industry for six years.

1948

The Sever Institute of Technology (Engineering graduate school) is founded as Sever Hall opens on the Hilltop Campus (now Danforth Campus).

1948-1954

Lawrence E. Stout serves as dean. He was influential in plans for collaborative research efforts between the School and industry.

1954-1964

Donald A. Fisher serves as dean. An expert in patent law, Fisher practiced law in St. Louis before joining the University as an instructor of electronic engineering.

1959

Urbauer Hall is completed.

1964

To help practicing engineers stay current with the profession through specialized courses, seminars and conference; The Institute for Continuing Studies was founded.

1964

Jerome R. Cox Jr., ScD brought LINC (The Laboratory Instrument Computer) and its development team to WashU from MIT. LINC transformed biomedical research by integrating computer science with medicine, allowing researchers to program data analysis on the fly.

1964-1991

James M. McKelvey serves as dean.

1965

Bryan Hall completed.

1973

The Dual Degree Program is established with a select group of colleges.

1981

Lopata Hall is completed.

1990

Jolley Hall is completed.

1991-2006

Christopher I. Byrnes serves as dean.

1993

Partnership with the University of Missouri-St. Louis is established to offer evening classes.

1997

The Department of Biomedical Engineering is founded.

2002

Whitaker Hall is completed.

2003

The Department of Electrical & Systems Engineering and the Department of Computer Science & Engineering are formed following mergers.

2006-2008

Mary J. Sansalone serves as the school’s ninth dean.

2006

The first of its kind in the U.S., the Department of Energy, Environmental & Chemical Engineering is founded through a merger of the graduate Engineering Environmental Science program and the Department of Chemical Engineering.

2007

Inspired by the legacy of former Dean McKelvey, The McKelvey Undergraduate Research Scholars Program is created for students to work on cutting-edge research projects with faculty from Engineering, Medicine, or the Sciences.

2008

Salvatore P. Sutera serves as interim dean.

2010

The Department of Mechanical, Aerospace & Structural Engineering becomes the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science.

2010-2015

Ralph S. Quatrano serves as dean.

2010

Brauer Hall completed.

2011

Green Hall completed.

2014

W.E. Moerner (EN ’75) wins Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

2015

Aaron F. Bobick named dean.

                   
​​