Stifel W. Jens
BSCE '32, MS '33
Alumni Achievement Award
Stifel W. Jens is an internationally respected and acclaimed consultant in water resources. He retired from his partnership with Reitz and Jens, Inc., in 1980.
Mr. Jens earned his Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering in 1933. During his undergraduate years, he was a member of Sigma Xi, Tau Beta Pi and Pi Mu Epsilon.
The consulting firm of Horner and Shifrin started Mr. Jens in his professional career and made him a partner in 1939. In 1951, he was an independent consultant, until 1963, when he joined with Henry M. Reitz.
As a consultant, he was involved with a variety of hydraulic, hydrologic, sanitary and drainage project. From 1935 to 1937, he was associate water consultant to the National Resources Committee during its nationwide drainage basin studies. From 1938 to 1940, Mr. Jens aided in the design of storm drainage for National Airport in Washington, D.C. During the 1940's, he was instrumental in assisting Houston solve water supply and distribution problems.
The American Society of Civil Engineers' Urban Water Resources Research Council (UWRRC) was cofounded by Mr. Jens in 1963. He chaired the UWRRC from 1963 to 1969, and secured federal funding in 1965, which it received until 1980. Due to Mr. Jens' association with the UWRCC, he participated in an international workshop on the hydrological effects of urbanization in Warsaw, Poland, in 1973.
Mr. Jens has published numerous papers on water resources. He was awarded a Presidential Commendation in 1970 for his "many contributions to environmental excellence through his work in urban hydrology and engineering." In 1973, he received an Alumni Citation at Founder's Day.
From 1969 to 1970, he was the president of the Engineers' Club of St. Louis, and received several honors from the club. In addition, he has also received awards of appreciation from the Engineering Foundation, the American Society for Testing and Materials, and the National Highway Institute.
He is a member of the Cosmos Club of Washington, D.C.
Michael M. McCarthy
Alumni Achievement Award
Michael M. McCarthy is chairman of the board of MCCARTHY, a national building firm with offices in national and international locations.
He received his Bachelor of Science degree in engineering science in 1962 with emphasis in civil engineering.
Mr. McCarthy heads a company with over 120 years in the general contracting business. According to the April 1984 issue of Engineering News Record, if all MCCARTHY enterprises were accumulated, the company would be rated as the nation's 25th largest general contracting firm, based on its annual volume of construction projects. MCCARTHY is a major builder of office buildings, hospitals, hotels, bridges and other complex projects.
The early 1970's marked the turning point for MCCARTHY, and Michael McCarthy is credited with leading the firm into new areas of potential growth. One approach was for MCCARTHY to concentrate on hospital buildings. MCCARTHY Parking Structures was another new business avenue.
MCCARTHY is now the largest builder of hospitals and parking structures in the country. The firm's offices are located in high-growth areas with potential for continued expansion as opposed to areas where growth has slowed. Along with these two new approached to the industry, Mr. McCarthy successfully sought out-of-state contracts. To date, MCCARTHY has contracted on more than 175 hospital projects in over 35 states.
He began his professional construction experience as a project engineer at Hatham Construction Company from 1962 to 1964. Beginning at McCarthy Brothers Construction Company in 1964 as a project manager, Mr. McCarthy rose through the ranks as chief expeditor, chief financial officer, vice-president, president and chairman in 1976.
Mr. McCarthy is an executive board member of Mark Twain Bancshares. He is director of AMEDCO, a developer of retirement villages, and is past board chairman of ECHO, an abused children's home. From 1979 to 1982, he served on the School of Engineering Task Force of the Commission on the future of Washington University.
Herbert M. Patton, Jr.
Alumni Achievement Award
Herbert M. Patton, Jr. is a 1938 graduate of Washington University's School of Engineering. An active alumnus throughout the intervening 47 years, he most recently served as a member of the school's Task Force on the Commission on the Future of Washington University.
Mr. Patton retired from his position as Vice President—Management Information Systems for Brown Group, Inc., at the end of 1984 after 37 years of service with the Corporation. He joined Brown Shoe Company, a member of Brown Group, as Chief Engineer in 1947. In 1968 he was named Director—Research and Engineering. In 1982, Mr. Patton was elected to his most recent position with the Corporation.
Mr. Patton was first employed as an industrial engineer with the James R. Kearney Corporation. From 1941 to 1946, he served as an Ordnance Officer with the United States Army, attaining the grade of First Lieutenant. After his military service, he joined General Steel Castings in Granite City, Illinois as Director of Supervisory Training.
Mr. Patton was graduated from Webster Groves High School. At Washington University, he was a member of Theta Xi social fraternity and Omicron Delta Kappa honorary fraternity.
A Registered Professional Engineer in Missouri, Mr. Patton also is a member of the American Society of Testing and Materials and the Construction Users Council. He has been a member of the Webster Groves Redevelopment Corporation, the Technical Committee of the Regional Commerce and Growth Association, and the Camping Committee for the Y.M.C.A. In addition, he served as a Commissioner on Land Clearance and Rehabilitation for Webster Groves.