Paul J. McKee
Alumni Achievement Award
Paul J. McKee, Jr. is chief executive officer and co-owner of Paric Corporation, a $45 million full-service design-build firm in St. Louis, and of Environmental Management Company, one of the country's largest full-service operations firms in the wastewater and water industry. Mr. McKee is one of the pioneers in privatization of public facilities through public-private partnership.
After earning a bachelor of science in civil engineering in 1967, Mr. McKee worked for Tarlton Corporation. He left the company in 1979 to co-found Paric Corporation and Environmental Management Company.
Active in the professional community, Mr. McKee is a member of the Missouri Society of Professional Engineers and National Society of Professional Engineers and the Associated General Contractors of St. Louis. He is active on numerous community boards, including serving as vice chairman of BJC Health System, chairman of Christian Health Services, vice president of the Regional Commerce and Growth Association (RCGA), vice chairman of the National Council on Youth Leadership and Boy Scouts of America, past chairman of the Chaminade College Preparatory Board and finance chairman for Visitation Academy. Since 1993, he has chaired the RCGA's "Sold on St. Louis" Economic Development Campaign. Recently he was voted vice president of the National Council of Public-Private Partnerships in Washington, DC and in 1994, he was voted chairman of the National Center for Environmental and Information Technology.
Mr. McKee is a life member of the William Greenleaf Eliot Society and sponsor of an endowed scholarship. In 1993-94, he co-sponsored the Paric Matching Challenge Grant to inspire others to support the School's Eliot Society and Scholarship Program.
Mr. McKee and his wife, Midge, reside in St. Louis and have four children.
William F. Patient
Alumni Achievement Award
William F. Patient is president an chief executive officer of the Geon Company, a leading North American manufacturer of vinyl polymers, headquartered in Cleveland, with annual sales exceeding $1.2 billion.
Mr. Patient received a bachelor of science in chemical engineering in 1957 from Washington University and began his career at the American Oil Company. From 1962 to 1989, he worked for Borg-Warner Chemicals/GE Plastics. Assignments included vice president, sales and marketing; vice president, manufacturing; and president, Borg-Warner Chemicals Europe. In 1989, Mr. Patient became a senior vice president of the B.F. Goodrich Company and president of its Geon Vinyl Division. In 1993, the division became a publicly held company, the Geon Company. Under Mr. Patient's leadership, Geon's operating income climbed from a $23 million loss to a $15 million profit in its first year as an independent company.
Mr. Patient is chairman of the Vinyl Institute, a division of the Society of the Plastics Industry, and serves on the board of the Chlorine Chemistry Council. He is actively involved with the United Way and a board member of the Cleveland State University, Cleveland Tomorrow, the Playhouse Square Foundation, and National City Bank.
Mr. Patient continues to participate in Washington University affairs, serving on the Cleveland Alumni Executive Committee and sponsoring an Engineering Scholarship. In 1994, he spoke to the Engineering Century Club Forum on the successful turnaround of his company.
The parents of five children, Mr. Patient and his wife, Bonnie, reside in Cleveland.
Stanley I. Proctor, Jr.
BSCHE '57, MSCHE '62
Alumni Achievement Award
Stanley I. Proctor, Jr. is president of Proctor Consulting Services in St. Louis, a private consulting firm in the areas of technology and people management.
Dr. Proctor received a bachelor of science, a master of science, and a doctorate in chemical engineering in 1957, 1962, and 1972, respectively. He joined the Monsanto Company in 1959 where he held various technical and managerial positions. He retired from Monsanto in 1993 as director, Engineering Technology and Services, The Chemical Group.
An active member of numerous professional and educational organizations, Dr. Proctor is a fellow and past president of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, which has honored him with the Founders and Van Antwerpen awards, among others. He also has received awards from the Council for Chemical Research and the Society of Women Engineers. He has served on various industrial advisory committees at universities, as well as a number of organizations' boards and executive committees, including the Chemical Heritage Foundation and Heat Transfer Research, Inc. He is a trustee of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Foundation and director and secretary of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.
Dr. Proctor has been an active member of the Washington University School of Engineering Alumni Advisory Council and sponsor of an Engineering Scholarship. He currently chairs the School's William Greenleaf Eliot Society Membership Committee.
He and his wife, Carol, reside in Chesterfield and have two sons.
Nick A. Schuster
BSEE '41, PHD Nuclear Physics '51
Alumni Achievement Award
Nick A. Shuster holds 50 patents in the field of oil exploration, using electrical, neutron, gamma ray, sonic, and other sources and detectors. He retired in 1980 as vice president of research and development for Schlumberger, Limited, a $6.1 billion manufacturer of electronic and electro-mechanical equipment components and systems, utility meters, and test instrumentation for oil drillers and producers. As vice president of research and development, Dr. Schuster was in charge of the company's engineering departments in Houston, Texas and Paris, France, and its research laboratory in Connecticut. After his retirement, Dr. Schuster continued to work as a self-employed consultant to Schlumberger, Limited until 1984.
Originally from St. Louis, Dr. Schuster graduated from Washington University with a bachelor of science in electrical engineering in 1941. He then joined General Electric in Schenectady, New York where he worked with microwave radar. From 1943 to 1946, he served as an officer of the U.S. Navy, including duty at the atomic bomb test in Bikini Atoll. From 1946 to 1948, he was a technical representative of Philco Radio working with the U.S. Army in Europe, Africa, and Arabia. He returned to the University and received his doctorate in nuclear physics in 1951, before joining Schlumberger, Limited.
Dr. Schuster has been involved with numerous professional organizations including the American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, the American Petroleum Institute, and the Society of Exploration Geophysicists. He also is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and the American Institute of Physics.
The parents of two daughters, Dr. Schuster and his wife, Mary, reside in Houston.
Gregory A. Sullivan
Young Alumni Award
Gregory A. Sullivan is president of G.A. Sullivan, a leading software development company headquartered in St. Louis. His company utilizes advanced software technologies to develop solutions that address unique business problems. He is also co-founder of Hamilton & Sullivan, Ltd., which provides sophisticated software and technology services for financial institutions across the United States.
Mr. Sullivan received a bachelor of science in systems science and mathematics in 1981. Shortly after graduation, he founded G.A. Sullivan and since that time has built his companies into organizations with a combined staff of more than 45 employees with annual sales over $3 million.
Mr. Sullivan is an active member of several professional organizations, including the Association for Computing Machinery, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Tau Beta Pi, and the Client Server Roundtable.
An active alumnus, Mr. Sullivan is past president of the School of Engineering's Alumni Advisory Council. He is currently participating in several other alumni organizations including serving as vice chair of the School's William Greenleaf Eliot Society Membership Committee. He also is co-sponsor of the Stifel Jens Scholarship, an active member of the Engineering School's National Council, and participant in the Project ASK (Alumni Sharing Knowledge) Task Force.
Mr. Sullivan has been a guest lecturer and has conducted several workshops at the School, designed to assist engineering students in preparing for the transition from academic to business life.
Mr. Sullivan resides in Ballwin.
Stanley L. Lopata
Washington University has been a primary beneficiary of Stanley and Lucy Lopata's generosity since Mr. Lopata graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in chemistry in 1935. Life Eliot Society Patrons, the Lopatas have given of themselves to the University by sponsoring numerous scholarships and University events, and assisting in the funding of building projects, including the construction of Lopata Hall and Lopata Plaza in the School of Engineering. They have endowed a professorship in chemical engineering and the University's annual fall invitational basketball tournament, the Lopata Classic. The Lopatas awarded the School of Engineering the "Lucy and Stanley Lopata Anniversary Challenge," a $234,000 challenge grant to encourage increased giving and alumni participation in the Annual Fund when the School celebrated its 125th Anniversary.
Mr. Lopata founded Carboline Company in 1946 to produce protective coatings and sealants. He built the company from a one-man, basement laboratory into a multi-million dollar company doing business in several dozen foreign countries, before selling it to Sun Oil Refining and Marketing Company in 1979. Later, Mr. Lopata founded Lopata Research and Development, which provides seed money for new chemical and technical products for industry. In 1994, he was named a NACE Fellow for his contributions and leadership in the field of corrosion control and protective coatings.
Mrs. Lopata has devoted herself for more than 30 years to organizations in the St. Louis community such as the Washington University Friends of Music and Department of Music, the American Jewish Federation, the Jewish Community Centers Association, the Arts and Education Council, Springboard for Learning, Logos School, the St. Louis Repertory Theatre, the St. Louis Zoo, the St. Louis Art Museum, the Missouri Botanical Garden, and the St. Louis Symphony, just to name a few. She helped found the Miriam School for learning-disabled children and is a past recipient of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat's Woman of Achievement award. Mr. Lopata has worked with such organizations as the American Cancer Society, the American Jewish Federation, the United Way, the St. Louis Symphony, the St. Louis Opera Theatre, and the National Association of Corrosive Engineers.
Mr. Lopata has served in various volunteer capacities for the School of Engineering and is a trustee emeritus of Washington University. He is a member of the School of Engineering National Council, Alumni Advisory executive Committee, and William Greenleaf Eliot Society Membership Committee, and is a past recipient of the University's Distinguished Alumni award and Alliance Achievement Award. Mr. Lopata received an honorary doctor of laws degree in 1993. He is also past chair of the University's Alumni Board of Governors.
The Lopatas have one daughter and three sons and reside in Ladue.