Because of the remaining uncertainty about the timeline of COVID-19 and likewise the uncertainty of when normal operations will return, we have decided to have all summer courses for McKelvey Engineering offered in an on-line format.
Engineering Summer School Enrollment Form
All currently enrolled Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor before registering for courses to make sure that the courses will apply to their degree program. Those not currently enrolled in any WashU program are encouraged to seek similar advice from Engineering Undergraduate Student Services.
Tuition & Payments
The tuition for Engineering summer courses is $1,994 per unit. Summer bills will be electronically sent on the last business day of the month, beginning at the end of April, and all summer balances will be due May 22. Students owing past due balances from prior semesters, including spring 2020, will not be allowed to register. Nonpayment of tuition and other expenses will result in a Student Accounting hold.
| Employer Payments: Employer reimbursements that are contingent upon course completion and/or a satisfactory grade will not exempt the student from stated due dates.|
| Embassy Payments: If payment is to be made by an embassy, the student must submit a copy of a letter of certification from the embassy at the time of registration. Embassy payments will not exempt the student from stated due dates.|
| Refunds: If a student withdraws from a class, a withdrawal email is required.|
If a student needs to drop a course, a refund is determined using the following schedule:
| Session I|| Session II|| Session III|| Session IV|
|Course Registration Begins||April 6||April 6||April 6||April 6|
| Classes Begin|| May 18|| June 8|| June 8|| July 13|
|Last day to register without instructor approval||May 22||June 12||June 15||July 17|
|Last day to drop without a "W"||May 22||June 12||June 15||July 17|
|Last day to drop and receive a 100% refund||May 22*||June 12*||June 15*||July 17*|
|Last day to drop and receive a 50% refund||May 26||June 16||June 22||July 21|
| No refunds given after|| May 26|| June 16|| June 22|| July 21|
|Last day to change grade option||June 1||July 6||July 20||August 7|
|Last day to withdraw from courses||June 1||July 6||July 20||August 7|
| Classes End|| June 5|| July 10|| July 31|| August 13|
* The last day to drop without a W-Withdrawal is the same as the 100% refund date for all courses.
Session 5 (Special Session)
- If the course meets 3 days or fewer, it must be dropped prior to the start of course for 100% refund. Thereafter, no refund is applied.
- If the course meets for 4 calendar days up to 1 week, you have 24 hours after the first class to drop for 100% refund. Thereafter, no refund is applied.
- If you are taking a Special Format course (e.g., Weekend or Intensive Format) that meets 2-4 weeks, you have 48 hours after the first class to drop for 100% refund. Thereafter, no refund is applied.
- If the course meets for 5-6 weeks, you have 4 days after the first class to drop for 100% refund, and 8 days after the first class to drop for a 50% refund. Thereafter, no refund is applied.
- If the course meets 7 weeks or more, you have 7 days after the first class to drop for 100% refund, and 14 days after the first class to drop with a 50% refund. Thereafter, no refund is applied.
Course Cancellations & Changes
The University reserves the right to withdraw any course with insufficient enrollment, to change instructors or classrooms, or to modify courses as necessary. If a class is canceled, a full refund will be made to the student.
Grades & Transcripts
Students may choose to take classes for a letter grade, pass/fail, or an audit (excluding CSE courses). Changes can be made from one option to another by submitting an email. Transcripts may be ordered online from the Office of the University Registrar.
Students scheduled to receive their degrees or certificates after completing the summer semester must file a Statement of Intent to Graduate on WebSTAC no later than August 1st. Degrees will not be conferred until October. Diplomas will be mailed to the student's permanent mailing address in late October.