It's easy to start your application today.
This is a guide on how to use the Gradescope/Canvas integration.
- Set up a Gradescope account using your WUSTL credentials at http://www.gradescope.com
- Once you have created an account, log into Gradescope.
- Select “+Create a new course.”
- On the “Create Your Course” popup window, fill in the fields. Click the “Create Course” button. You will be taken to the Gradescope page for your course. Click on the “Create Assignment” button.
- A “Create Assignment” window will pop up. Select your assignment type. Click the “Next” button in the lower righthand corner.
- An “Assignment Settings” page will popup. Populate the fields. Make sure that you have a .pdf on hand to populate into the “Template” field. Click the “Create Assignment” button to save your work. Note: the assignment specifications you use in Gradescope you’ll want to save and duplicate later in Canvas.
- After you click the “Create Assignment” button, you will be prompted to create an outline for your new assignment. There, you can enter questions/problems and assign points to those questions/problems. When done populating these fields, click the “Save Outline” button.
On linking your Gradescope course to your Canvas course.
- Once your course is created in Gradescope and you have set up an assignment for that course, it is time to link your Gradescope course to your Canvas course. Return to your course page in Gradescope and click on the “Course Settings” option in the left-hand navigation column.
- You should be directed to the “Edit Course Page.” In the middle of the page, under the heading, “Canvas Course,” click on the “Link” button.
- Upon clicking the “Link” button, one of two things will happen. If this is your first time using Gradescope, you will be prompted to authorize Gradescope to access your Canvas information. If you are in this situation, click the “Authorize” button. Otherwise, a “Link Canvas Course” window will pop up.
- Under the “Select Course to Link” header, scroll down to your intended Canvas course in the dropdown menu. Click the “Link Course” button. Now your Gradescope course and your Canvas course are linked, but they are not yet synced.
- To sync Gradescope with your Canvas roster, go to your Gradescope course. Click “Roster” in the left-hand navigation column. You will be directed to the “Course Roster” page. There, click on the “Sync Canvas Roster” button.
- A “Sync with Canvas Roster” window will pop up. Click the “Sync Roster” button.
- Once your Gradescope course has synced with your Canvas course, you should be directed to a populated “Course Roster” page in Gradescope.
To link a Canvas assignment to a Gradescope assignment.
- Once your Gradescope course is linked to your Canvas course and you have built a Gradescope assignment, you can link that Gradescope assignment to a Canvas assignment. Go to your Canvas course and create an assignment.
- In the Canvas Assignment setup, make sure that your due dates, availability dates, time limits, and point values match your previously constructed Gradescope assignment. Then, under “Submission Type,” select “External Tool.”
- To locate Gradescope as an external tool option, click in the “Enter or find an external Tool URL” field. A “Configure External Tool” window will pop up. Scroll down until you find “Gradescope.” Highlight “Gradescope.” Click the “Select” button.
- Save and publish the Canvas assignment so that it will appear in the Canvas Gradebook. You may be prompted to sync students from your Canvas Roster page. If so, do so.
To link a Gradescope Assignment to a Gradescope-enabled Canvas Assignment.
- Return to your Gradescope course. Then, return to the Assignments section. Click on the name of the assignment you intend to associate with your newly-created Canvas assignment.
- You will be directed to the “Manage Submissions” page associated with this particular assignment. Click on “Settings” in the left-hand navigation column.
- After clicking “Settings,” you will be directed to the “Edit Assignment” page. In the middle of the page, under the “Canvas Assignment” heading, click on the “Link” button.
- A “Link Canvas Assignment” window will pop up. Under the “Select Assignment to Link,” in the dropdown menu, scroll down to the Canvas assignment you want to link.
- Once you have selected your desired Canvas assignment, click on the “Link Assignment” button.
- You will return to the “Edit Assignment” page. Make sure that your Gradescope assignment reads as linked to its respective Canvas assignment. Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click the “Save” button.
To Sync Gradescope grades with Canvas Gradebook.
- Once students have submitted assignments and once the assignments have been graded in GradeScope, you will likely want to sync Gradescope grades with the Canvas Gradebook. To do so, go to Gradescope. Click on the intended Gradescope assignment. Once on the “Manage Submissions” page, click “Review Grades” in the left-hand navigation column.
- Once on the “Review Grades” page for the intended assignment, look to the lower right-hand corner. Click the “Post Grades to Canvas” button.
- A “Post Grades to Canvas” window should pop up. Click the “Post Grades” button.
- Upon clicking the “Post Grades” button, a status bar should appear and broadcast the following message. “Grades successfully posted to Canvas.”
- Return to the Canvas Gradebook to confirm the transfer.