A timeline of two WashU Engineering students and how they spent the weekend at a hackathon
Photos by Jerry Naunheim
Junior, computer science undergraduate student
Jack's team designed Barcode, a system designed to prevent drivers who have had too much to drink from accessing car keys. The locker-type system would use a built-in ethanol sensor to measure blood alcohol content. If below the legal limit, the locker will unlock, providing access to car keys. But if above the legal limit, the locker will remain locked and will recommend alternative transportation.
Gave the MLH intro speech (Major League Hacking)
Went to my friend's birthday dinner (with 3/4 of my team)
Went to hang out at Michael's apartment
Decided on Barcode
Started the front-end development
Finished the CSS
Finished the HTML
Went to sleep
Got lunch with the team
Realized that my team dislikes JS more than I do
Started the JS, knowing I would do it all
We got a bunch of cookies (I had at least four)
Finished all of the log in and out functions
Began merging hardware with software
Ran into our first bug — our core designs were different
I won the argument, and made the hardware guy change his code, so I didn't have to change mine
Actually began the merge
10:01 PM - 5:00 AM
I put the page on AWS and submitted on devpost
Went to sleep and woke up just in time for judging!
Master's student in computer science
Cancan's team developed ChouChou, an easy-to-use and inexpensive sensor-application kit that monitors the humidity level of a baby's diaper and sends real-time data to parents' phones so they know when it's time for a change.
I checked in and grabbed some free stuff. The Android-robot key chain is really cute.
Networked with companies about summer intern opportunities
Went to a workshop about a framework that we finally decided to not use
One of my teammates started working on hardware (wiring and stuff). Another teammate started with the front end, and I started with the back-end (database).
We ran into a fatal issue that the data cannot transfer from the hardware to database through Bluetooth
Database is set up, front-end view is being built, we just can't get data in
Went to sleep, desperately
Found an alternate solution to the hardware problem
After three hours of non-stop coding, I can't continue anymore. I went to get lunch.
We got our main page done
I've been working on our data visualization codes for two hours. It's time to get my sixth cup of coffee today!
Our three data visualizations are finally made. The only step left is to integrate them into our application and connect with real-time data
Our project requires to nest web application into mobile form. But our CSS file (which controls the UI) keeps running into problems so we spend hours on debugging and adjusting.
We finally fixed all bugs.
Waiting at our table to demo for judges
My group didn't win any prize, but I learned so much from the past 40ish hours about coding, teamwork, design concepts and have a better understanding of how much I can accomplish in 40 hours.