The following supplements are required to submit your application:
Application fee ($75)
Unofficial copies of all transcripts
- Transcripts must list the applicant’s name, name of the institution, and all grades received, in English.
- Include full academic history – undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- See some frequently asked questions about transcripts.
Three letters of recommendation
- Input recommendation providers' names and email addresses. Recommendation providers are automatically sent an email requesting a recommendation.
- Paper and email recommendations will not be accepted.
- The recommendations must be posted by the published deadline for final application submission.
- See some frequently asked questions about letters of recommendation.
Statement of Purpose & resume/CV
- Please reference the chart below for the individual program requirements.**
- GRE General Test and GRE General Test at Home are accepted.
- GRE scores are not required for applicants to part-time Master’s or the Bachelor’s/Master’s programs.
- Applicants must report their official GRE scores via ETS to the WashU School Code 6929.
- See some frequently asked questions about GRE scores.
**Many programs have decided to make the GRE General Test optional for applicants. While optional, students are still encouraged to submit their GRE scores if they have already taken the test (even if it was some time ago) or can take it safely by our application deadline, as it gives us additional information when evaluating their application.
|All PhD programs
||GRE optional for Fall 2023
(no spring intake)
|Full Time Master's programs
||GRE optional for Spring 2023.
GRE required for Computer Science & Engineering Department programs for Fall 2023; all others are optional for Fall 2023.
|Part Time Master's programs
English proficiency testing
- Official TOEFL/IELTS scores required for all international applicants. See waiver eligibility requirements below.
- TOEFL iBT Test, TOEFL iBTHome Edition, and TOEFL iBT Paper Edition are accepted.
- Official score reports are only available for scores that are less than two years old. We do not accept expired scores.
- We recommend a minimum TOEFL score of 90 or IELTS score of 6.5.
- Official TOEFL scores should be sent via ETS to the WashU School Code 6929.
- Official IELTS scores reports should be sent via IELTS electronically to Washington University in St. Louis Graduate Programs.
- See some frequently asked questions about application materials.
The English proficiency testing requirement may be waived for applicants who meet any of the below criteria:
- Is a citizen of Australia, Cameroon, Commonwealth Caribbean nations, Ghana, India, Ireland, Kenya, Liberia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Singapore, Uganda, the United Kingdom, and Zimbabwe.
- Has completed a minimum of three years of documented study in a university-level academic program in the United States or one of the countries listed above.
- Has completed a minimum of three years of documented study in an English-medium academic program in Canada, Hong Kong, or South Africa.
- Based on the evaluation of your application package, we retain the right to require English testing upon arrival and you may be required to take additional English classes. If you are recommended to take English classes, the cost of the courses will be your responsibility.