EducationMS, Southwest Baptist University, 2003
BS, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, 1990
Built environment thought leader and integrator
Professor Steve W. Bannes is the Director of the Graduate Studies in Construction Management Programs at Washington University in St. Louis. As director, Bannes provides strategic guidance, policy development and departmental leadership. Bannes teaches both undergraduate and graduate students in the McKelvey School of Engineering and at Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts.
A non-traditional academic, Bannes brings a full spectrum of construction industry experience to the classroom. During his industry career, he was solely responsible for acquiring and/or managing over one billion dollars of construction work, and with his forty years of hands-on experience, he has a unique constructor’s viewpoint, enabling him to share a unparalleled perspective.
Throughout his directorship, Bannes has designed, redesigned and launched programs for professionals and aspiring professionals who are particularly motivated to become Integrators — leaders and managers with enhanced capabilities to integrate teams within the built environment for greater project success. In addition, he has developed or co-developed new courses and curriculums for both the Master of Construction Management (MCM), a graduate certificate designed and intended for industry stakeholders and the MCM/M.Arch joint degree program with the College of Architecture.
Professor Bannes frequently participates as a consultant as well as an author, speaker and panelist in seminars, workshops and educational programs, and is active in numerous regional and national industry, academic, civic and philanthropic organizations including:
- Construction Industry Institute (CII)
- American Institute of Constructors (AIC)
- Associated General Contractors of America (AGC)
- Lean Construction Institute (LCI)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA)
- CACoP – a virtual Community of Practice of Construction Academics – Founder
- Construction Forum –Founding Board Member – 2012 to present
- Louis Council of Construction Consumers (SLC3) – a Training & Education Committee
- BJC 101 – An educational program for M/W/D firms – Educational Advisor/Program Developer and Instructor
- Engineers Club of St. Louis
- Honorary Commander – Team Scott Honorary Commanders Program, Scott AFB – 2021/2023