The Department of Biomedical Engineering at the McKelvey School of Engineering hosted its annual BME Day that celebrates student design groups and graduate student research, outreach and leadership.
Graduate students awarded include:
- Punn Augsornworawat and Yaoheng (Mack) Yang, who won the Outstanding Dissertation Award. This award is given to recognize a comprehensive body of independent scholarship that significantly advances the discipline;
- Zijian Guo and Yun Zou, who won the Outstanding Research Award. This award is given to recognize independent research that gained recognition at the national or international level;
- Conor O’Neill and Jessica Kuppan, who won the Doctoral Student Service Leadership Award. The Leadership Award is given to doctoral students who have shown department-level, school-level and/or university-level leadership over the course of their doctoral studies;
- Doris Ling and José Almeida, who won the Doctoral Student Service Outreach Award. The Outreach Award is given to doctoral students who have demonstrated a commitment to fostering science and engineering beyond our departmental, school and/or university borders.
Student teams took part in the senior design competition, where they present projects addressing a biomedical problem that they designed during the yearlong capstone course.
Senior design award winners include:
- Savannah Chatman, Samantha Olson and Trinh Woolridge, who won first place and the Entrepreneurial Spirit Award for their project Fistula Fighters;
- Ryan Gladwell, Joshua Josef and Cassandra Majewski, who won second place for their project Quantitative Visualization of Tremor in the Upper Extremities;
- Miranda Copehaver, Evin Jaff and Alex Joggerst, who won third place for their project Cardioconnect;
- Jingwei Ling, Bochun Mei and Huihao Wang, who won the Entrepreneurial Spirit Award for their project Proximal Interphalangeal (PIP) joint goniometer system;
- Nilay Jakati, Omer Kazmi and Shikha Shah, who won Most Likely to be Commercialized for their project Novel Advancements in Viral Testing.
Senior design projects can be viewed here.